top of page

What Can I Possibly Sell?


Your state’s legislation will specifically outline those “non-hazardous” food items you can produce under its “cottage food law.”  In the simplest terms, the conventions used to define such food are low-moisture, like breads or cookies, and high-acid, like preserves, pickles, jams and jellies.


Depending on your state, here are some common examples of low

moisture items you can bake and sell to the public:

• Breads

• Muffins

• Cookies

• Biscuits

• Crackers


Here are some examples of high-acid canned products:

• Jams and jellies

• Salsa

• Chutneys

• Pickled vegetables and fruits

• Sauerkraut

• Kimche

• Applesauce


Exceptions and exemptions; Here are some other possible cottage food products:

• Candy, such as brittle and toffee

• Chocolate-covered nonperishable foods, such as nuts and dried fruit

• Chocolate-covered pretzels, marshmallows, Rice Krispie treats and graham crackers

• Cotton candy

• Dried fruit

• Dried pasta

• Dry baking mixes

• Granola, cereals and trail mixes

• Herb blends and dried mole paste

• Honey and sweet sorghum syrup

• Nut mixes and nut butters

• Popcorn

• Vinegar and mustard

• Roasted coffee

• Dried tea and dried tea blends

• Waffle cones and pizelles


bottom of page